Local stakeholders contributed to the definition of local sustainable tourism plans.
On September 21st 2012, the COAST Project organized a workshop in Kribi to validate the sustainable tourism management plans drafted by the project. More than 50 representatives from the community, government officials, and private sector participated in this meeting, which goal was to build a shared vision regarding development of tourism activities and development priorities in demo sites.
The COAST project in Kribi aims at “Promoting a more sustainable tourism in the Kribi area”. This goal is to be achieving through:
- The execution of sustainable tourism management plans in the defined demo sites.
- Building capacities of local population: delivering specific tourism trainings, and supporting community based enterprises in the tourism value chain (local farmers, local guides)
- Supporting promotion and knowledge sharing about sustainable tourism products.
- Promoting respect and sustainable practices in tourism exchanges involving autochthonous populations (bagyeli pygmies).
During the meeting the following resolutions were adopted by stakeholders.
– To create an ecotourism site in Londji, featuring attractions like the local fish market, mangrove tours and canoe tours in the sea. The project will continue to support community actors in the sanitation and waste management of the village.
– To define an ecotourism circuit in the Lobé Falls.
– To develop restoration equipments in the Grand Batanga beach. This beach should remain a public beach managed by the local community.
– To develop an ecotourism circuit (living museum) in the forest next to the Nambinkoumbi pygmy village.
– To Introduce sustainable environmental management practices to protect beach shores in Kribi: tree plantings, containing barriers, and to ameliorate waste management.
– To support small agricultural activities in demo sites.
– To deliver vocational trainings to youth and locals to ameliorate their possibilities to carry out self employment activities.
This Management plans are the guidelines that must direct project activities and development priorities of Demo Sites.